Sit back, grab a brew and dive into our list of recommendations and life hacks to help you make the most of your home renovations!
So we looked in our previous blog about how you can make your house move as effortless as possible, within that post we touched in renovations as something to consider once you have moved house. In this article we are going to break down our top tips for how you can make the most out of your new home and renovate in a fun and enjoyable way. Renovations don’t have to be stressful and in most cases, they can be something that bring you together as a family. Within this article we will look at DIY tips and advice, organisational advice, and look at when you should look for professional help. At Storage Manchester we are on the front lines with many of our customers who are looking for some extra space to keep their belongings safe and secure during home renovations. Storage Manchester are also able to offer tips and advice on the best ways to use self storage to get the most out of your home renovations.
1) Top DIY tips
We aim to put together some quirky and useful tips that will help you when it comes to doing DIY around your home. In this list we will look at some life hacks to help you get the most out of your DIY experience in your home whilst making life as easy as possible for you.
- Cling Film – Using cling film to wrap your paint brushes will help keep them moist while you are decorating. This will stop the brushed from drying out and help you save on water and paint.
- Stop Drips – There is nothing more frustrating than pouring paint out of a paint can and having it slowly drip down the side of the can before splurging out onto your carpet or floor. Simply grab a disposable paper plate and glue it to the bottom of your paint cans, this will catch any runaway paint from ruining your floors.
- Do Your Walls First! – This one may seem a little obvious but paint your walls first before you do anything else. You’d be surprised how many people fit a new floor before they finishing painting a room, don’t risk it people! Paint your walls first.
We touch on this point in a lot of our other guides such as how to get the most out of Storage Manchester and our tips for moving house but we can’t stress this one enough, organisation is key! Getting to grips with what you need to do during your home renovations can make such a huge difference and will set you up to get your work done in the most efficient way possible. Here are just some of our tips to organise your home renovations:
- Compartmentalise – Break down the work you need to do into small bitesize chunks, this can be planning to do one room at a time or even one aspect of a room at a time such as painting the walls or changing the flooring.
- Set dates- Set dates when you plan to start and finish things. This will help you keep on track of what you need to do and also to arrange any friends and family to help if and when needed.
- Arrange for any third party work to be done – being organised will help you establish when you need to get in third party contractors to help you with some more complicated work that falls out of the reaches of DIY. If you know your timeline for getting the work done you can use this to book contractors as and when you need them.
3) Professional Help
So we touched on this point in the previous section but even the most capable of DIY renovators may reach a point that they need help. Some more ambitious projects that may require specialist work to be done can be a barrier for many home renovations. We recommend you plan for major work you need doing and use the organisational tips given in the previous point to help establish a plan and timeline for getting the work done. Many contractors have busy schedules so doing this as far in advance as possible will help. Some things you may want to consider professional help with are:
4) Self Storage
If you have been a long time follower of the Storage Manchester blog then you will know that we can’t make a list of suggestions without sneaking in self storage somewhere, after all, it’s what we are experts in! That being said, the incredible value of using self storage when decorating your home can’t be dismissed. Using self storage during renovations can help with lifting and removal of large furniture as well as giving you a safe and secure place to store your valuables so they don’t get broken during your renovations.
- Keep your belongings safe and secure
- Get help from our removals team
- Rent a free van
- Unlimited Free packing boxes
- The cheapest and most secure place to store your belongings
So, throughout this article we have looked at some tips and tricks to get you ahead of the curve with your home renovations and DIY. We hope this list has been useful to you and if you have any top secret life hacks for home renovations do let us know and we can add them to the list. If you are interested in securing a safe and affordable self storage unit to help with your home renovations whilst benefiting from our free van hire, packing boxes or collection and removals service then let us know. You can get in touch with a member of our team 7 days a week and we will be able to give you a quote over the phone there and then.