Check out our definitive guide on how to easily move house in 2020 and how you could use Self Storage to help….
With 2020 now well underway and 2019 in the past, it is time to look at what 2020 has in store for us. With the start of the new year, many people may be looking towards how to move house in 2020, be that buying a new home or renting, the demands on the process remain the same. Moving house can be a stressful and difficult time for even the most seasoned of movers, renovators, or experienced homeowners. In this guide, we are going to break down how you can make the moving process as easy as possible, remain organised, and use some handy tips to save yourself time. Don’t wait until you are at breaking point to get on top of your house move, check out Storage Manchester’s list below and start your 2020 house move in the right way.
With looking towards making a house move in 2020, preparation is key and there are some points that you will want to make sure you have planned down to a T. The most important things you will want to plan for are:
- When and how you are going to pack your belongings – Make a schedule and stick to it, this will drastically reduce your stress levels.
- Keep on top of dates – when you plan to meet estate agents, removal companies, storage facilities, move in and move out dates. If you keep a note of all of these dates you will already be in an excellent position. We advise you to set up reminders on your phone to help with this.
- Get Help – One of the best things about planning ahead is you can allow yourself to get help from friends and family with the move. Don’t leave it until the day before your move to ask for help, if you plan far enough in advance people can free themselves up to help you.
This is a big one people! Free up as much space as possible before you move house to ensure that you are only taking with you what you need to. This can also be a good way to earn some extra money to help with the moving process as well as starting your time in your new home with a clean slate.
- Use eBay and the Facebook marketplace to list your old belongings and reach customers that are willing to buy them. This can be a great way to earn some extra money from old clothes, furniture, and electrical equipment.
- Consider Donating – You can make a big difference to those in need by donating your old clothes and furniture to local charity shops. What you might be looking to get rid of could make a big difference to those in need.
- Look to sell items that may not work in your new house, certain items of furniture might be too big or too small for your new home. You can sell your old furniture and put the money towards new furniture for your move.
This one may seem like an obvious one but you’d be amazed at how many people overlook organisation when making a house move in 2020. Being organised and being on top of deadlines, packing, and the moving process can make such a huge difference.
- Pack your boxes in groups based on each room. Label boxes for Kitchen, Dining Room, Bedroom #1, etc. Doing this will help you pack your belongings in an organised way as well as unpack them when you get to your new house.
- Create a schedule – This links in with the point about planning but is still important. Create a schedule of when you need to have everything done and stick to it.
- Organise a list of everything you need to help with the move and how and when you are going to get them. This can be important for sorting out help, removal teams, and move in/out days.
4) Have The Right Supplies
Finding the right supplies for your move can make your life so much easier. Having the right equipment and gear in the right places will make all the other points on this list a lot easier.
- Packing Boxes – Having a good number of packing boxes to put your belongings in can help massively. Packing boxes will not only help to keep your belongings organised, but they will also help to keep your belongings safe during the moving process – Storage Manchester offers unlimited free boxes.
- Box Cutter and Tape – This one ties into the last point but having a box knife to help open your boxes will save you a lot of time and frustration. In addition to this having a good roll of tape will help you seal your boxes and keep your belongings safe during transport.
- Access to a van or a removal team. If you decide not to go ahead with a removal team then hiring or borrowing a van will make your move a lot easier. At Storage Manchester, we provide free van rental to all of our customers.
5) House Removal
Find a good removal team and let someone else do all the heavy lifting for you. With a house move, there are a hundred and one things you will need to be aware of, and many plates to spin. Finding a cheap and affordable removal team that are professional at what they do will be one of the most valuable things you can invest in.
Simply coordinate with your removal team and arrange a date and time that works for you. They will show up at your house, load the van for you, and unload all your belongings on the other side. This will save you a huge amount of time and effort.
6) Self Storage
This one is our specialty so trust us when we say that using self storage facility can massively improve your experience during a house move. We will break it down into a few steps that we find the most beneficial during a house move for customers of Storage Manchester:
- Free up Space- Using Storage Manchester will allow you to free up more space around your house before and after the move takes away the pressure and stress of not having enough space or having too many belongings to move.
- We have a free collection team as well as a free van rental – If you decide to use self storage during your house move our in-house expert removal team can collect your belongings from your house and place them in your storage unit completely free of charge.
- Save more money in the long run – Instead of having to sell or donate items you don’t immediately need you can place them in storage during the move and collect them once you are settled in your new house.
To find out how a storage unit such as Storage Manchester can help you store for less and make your moving process easier get in touch with a member of our team who are on hand 7 days a week.
Sort out a timeline of when you are going to need each step in this list. Create a timeline of when you are going to pack, move, and unpack. This timeline will help you visualise the overall moving process and should look something like this:
- Find a new property
- Removal team
- Move to New House
This is a very simplistic example of what your timeline should look like but if you include these things you can always expand upon them in the planning stage of your hose move.
The moving process is big and spans across multiple areas such as packing, planning, removals, renovations, etc. With all this said and done the biggest day is still the day you actually make the move, this day is often full-on from start to finish so here is our list of things that can help during the day itself:
- Enlist the help of friends and family
- Have a removal team booked
- Wake up early to give yourself plenty of time
- Don’t prioritise non-essential things – Not everything has to be done in one day.
- Make sure your old property is left in a respectable manner
- Ensure you give yourself enough time to do everything you want to do
If you have followed the advice on this list then hopefully you will now be happily settled in your new home. That being said no house is ever perfect when you first move in so the chances are you are going to be looking at doing some renovations or DIY. Many of the points on this list can also apply to planning your renovations such as:
- Planning and Organisation: Plan your renovations and make sure you are organised, you can use the advice given on this list to make this process easier.
- Make sure you have the right equipment. Plan out what tools and equipment you will need for a job before you start doing it.
- Use self storage to keep your belongings safe and secure while you renovate, this will ensure that your renovations have as little impact as possible on your home life.
The good news is if you have followed every step on this list, got on top of any renovations you wanted to do, and moved successfully into your new house then you can sit back and relax. With each of the steps in this list, Storage Manchester can help you. Using a storage facility can help take away a lot of the stresses and time restraints of how to move house in 2020. To find out what advice, tips, or services Storage Manchester can help you with give a member of our team a call.